not what I signed up for

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:42:24 -0400

Hi Ric,
I don't know what you are doing to the posts, but go back to what you were doing.
With your new posts, I have to scroll, and I didn't before.
John
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Brekne
  To: Newtonburg
  Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 6:11 PM
  Subject: re: not what I signed up for

    Well, gee, I know what a good tuning sounds like everytime I'm
    done tuning with my SAT III. The idea of what a good tuning is
    so subjective it's ridiculous. We have people extolling HTs as
    the best sounding tunings, David Anderson claims his 4ths/5ths
    tunings makes grown women cry...;-] Bill Bremmer claims we're
    all just tuning reverse wells anyway and we've never tuned a
    real equal temperment. Just what is a good tuning in your
    opinion Mr. Brekne? Or do only your ears do the talking?

    David Ilvedson, RPT

I am quite sure you do <<know>> what a good tuning sounds like everytime your are done.
So do the other fellows whome you mention, some of which would no doubt take issue with
your own perception.  Which, if I am not mistaken... is the nature of something being
subjective to begin with.

You wish to know my definition of what a good tuning is Mr Ilvedson ??  I'll tell you.
A good tuning accuratly reflects the concious and learned choices of the tuner executing
the tuning.  Thats ears, understanding, and skill in manipulating the tuning pins all together
successfully accomplishing exactly what one sets out to do.

It goes without saying then, that if you have no idea of what you are doing aside from a skill in
setting pins... you are highly vunerable as a tuner.

Yes my ears have the final say.