Schimmel Regulation Problem

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:50:44 -0500

> >My question for those who suggest that I check hammer bore vs. string
> >height is, what am I looking for?
>
> The height of a hammer center pin above the keybed plus the hammer bore
> distance should be very near the string height for that note. If the
> hammers have been filed deeply, or mis-bored, they may be too short. If
so,
> they should be replaced. Also, how do the knuckles look? Are they badly
> compacted? The idea is to try and determine exactly where the problem
> actually is before you go fixing yourself into a corner (as we've all
done)
> by changing the wrong thing.
>
> Ron N

    Ron,
    Great point.
    My thinking on trimming the letoff rails  is in line with this approach.
    Changing action spead-etc. followed by hours of regulation was not
possible in my Schimmel problem.
    Trimming the letoff rail solved the problem and could be reversed
quickly by adding strips of veneer to reestablish the old dimension if
necessary.
    Newton told me once--- "First do no harm".
    Tom Driscoll RPT