Bedding the keyframe of a Bechstein B

Roberto Rega r.rega@freesurf.ch
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:25:42 +0100

Hello,

I'm a professional pianist and I own a Bechstein grand piano model B =
(203 cm) dating 1988 (one of the last with ivory keys). I have a =
question about proper bedding procedure for this piano.

The main concern is about bedding it with keys and action installed or =
without them using the paper method under the bolts.

In the first case should I tighten the cheeks screws? And in what order =
should I regulate the bolts?

Should the keyframe of this piano be considered rigid or flexible?

The 2 procedures give very different results, expecially in the middle =
registers. What bothers me a lot is checking key height after bedding. =
It should be 63 mm (that's what Bechstein told me), and this is correct =
on the left and right side, but if I do the bedding with action and keys =
installed I obtain a much lower key height in correspondance of the 3 =
middle bolts. Could the keyframe have bended in the balance rail over =
time (in case it is a rigid kind)?

Is a bedding procedure based exclusively on "sound quality" be imagined?

I notice a lack of power/precision with the (lighter) bedding done with =
action and keys installed. Also playing gives a feeling of keys sticking =
to fingers.

How does a correct key height influence sound quality and pianist =
feeling?

I would greatly appreciate any help coming from those with experience on =
Bechstein grands.

Thank you very much,

Roberto Rega
(Geneva - Switzerland)