Bedding the keyframe of a Bechstein B

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:45:16 +0100

On 6-feb-05, at 4:15, A440A@aol.com wrote:

>  Your keys may have lost their level and the bedding doesn't have=20
> anything
> to do with it, OR, somebody could have set the key height with a lot=20=

> more
> pressure on the balance rail.
>
>>> Is a bedding procedure based exclusively on "sound quality" be=20
>>> imagined?<<
>
>   Some have said so.  I don't find it makes a discernable difference=20=

> as long
> as the bedding is within normal bounds.

If the applied pressure on a key bolt is too high, i.e. if that key=20
bolt is screwed down too much in relation to the others, it is harder=20
to lift the action by the action rail. The tone in that area is usually=20=

grunting, or stronger.
We should therefor check the weight of the action at each key bolt area.
I actually think that pianists should not do that. Too many parameters=20=

are involved and many technicians are not even familiar yet with those.

friendly greetings
from
ANDR=C9 OOREBEEK

Where 'music' is no harm can be