First Pitch Raise

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 09:31:53 -0700

Matthew,
You do not tell us how much the pitch raise was.
I find that a pitch raise of over 50 cents, will change the string =
level, so that the dampers may not mate with the new level of the =
strings, Add to that the higher tension will give the strings more =
energy in reserve, so that when struck with the hammer, the string may =
not stop its vibration as quickly.
Try this, on a piano that is way under pitch (50 cents or more,)  using =
a string level, find a note that IS LEVEL near as you can to the strike =
point. Now bring the note up to pitch and recheck the level of the =
strings.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Matthew Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 7:20 PM
  Subject: Re: First Pitch Raise

    I did raise the dampers while I strip muted.

    Matthew

      =20

    However, here's something that you might actually have done to cause =
this.  If you don't raise the damper pedal when you put in your strip =
mute, you can compress the damper felt.   This could cause the problem.

    Tom Sivak
    Chicago PTG Associate=20

  Matthew Todd
  Todd Piano Works