Laminated Soundboard Blues

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:51:26 -0600

>>Aren't Ron Overs' pianos made with a laminated soundboard?  Perhaps I am
>>wrong but I thought that was the case.   I'd have to say from my limited
>>exposure to his piano in Reno, the sound was not in the least
>>compromised.
>>
>>David Love
>>davidlovepianos@comcast.net
>
>Yes David, all but one of our pianos have laminated soundboards. The piano
>at Reno had a laminated panel. Thanks for coming to the laminated panel's
>defence. The idea is being rejected simply on the basis of low end trashy
>pianos using low end trashy non-spruce laminated panels.

While I'm not altogether convinced they necessarily need be made of spruce,
it's obvious that laminated panels are typically pre-judged as being
inferior, most often by those who have no practical experience in
soundboard design and fabrication.

>When is some sanity going to come to this matter?

This is rhetorical, right?

>I believe the concept warrants further serious consideration. But I'll no
>doubt be accused by some of pushing my own barrow.

It surely does, and you likely will.

>If one wants to be kept in ignorance, by all means keep listening to the
>uninformed chatter of salespeople, or the chatter of those who chose a
>word/email processor as his/her primary research tool.

How does that go? It's not what is said, but who says it, and the way it is
said that counts? I must disagree. The information is what counts, and that
takes some internal processing to validate and assimilate.

>The problem of our age is sorting the worthwhile information from the
>oceans of BS and chaff.
>
>Ron O.

Internal processing, and application of the 99% rule.

Ron N