Laminated Soundboard Blues

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:34:45 EST

Horace writes

And,  sadly, there has not been sufficient numbers of quality instruments
with  laminated boards for the "average" person (or, technician, for that
matter)  to get anything more real than the marketing hype.

    Horace & all
  Actually this is SO  TRUE. Exposure is a  problem. Access to any type
redesigned boards, in any  configuration any where, is hard to come by. The first
rib & CC crowned  board I ever heard was at Ken Hannahs shop in Stillwater
Minnisota Many years  ago. At the time This just wasn't being done on the west
coast in any numbers by  any one. I had to travel that far for mentoring &
exposure to new  boards.
  The first Lam panel & rib crowned design combination I  had seen at
convention was brought to Reno at great cost by Ron  O.   The "Overs" piano  was a
pure & clear sounding  beauty & beautiful to look at as well. I still remember
that plate in  polished acrlic enamel The sound & the new Action. Quite
impressive in all  respects..Thanks Ron
  My point is I've been building boards for a while & I've seen  precious few
done by any one else in any form. So to see a new ,redesign or rib  crowned
board etc I've had to go to conventions primarily for this  kind of thing.
  So, is it any wonder that the experience of most technicians  Including me
are with purely vintage type C.C. crowned boards let  alone rib crowned or
lam/rib crowned. We  all  as techs have  relatively little to compare to.
  Even the recent discussion of rib crowned or  rib crowned plus  C.C. or
complete redesign have even suffered a bit of derision here on the  list amongst
the brethren. And some  skeptism was heard , & probably  rightly so,as to
whether these new designs possibly being as Magic as the  predominantly made  &
purely Compression Crowned boards we all have  seen all of our carreers. If one
has nothing to compare too how can an opinion  be formed?
  Our new age thinking on all these matters has a long way to  travel even in
our own technical community let alone marketing offices  etc.
 IMO , & Possibly the most forward thinking  R.D in the  piano world today is
being done by small shops not large Manufacturers. Will  that ever translate
to different choices in the Market place?? If so  slowly.
 Until then I'll take every opportunity get some exposure to  other folks
piano designs & rebuilt pianos.
  So for now, I believe the best value added pianos available to  your
clients is quite possibly the ones being rebuilt well by small shops &  small
Manufactutreres &  IMO is a truly value added  product. Forgive my shameless biased
opinion.
    By Rebuilt " The Valued Added Piano"
     Dale Erwin
   My Restored Stwy D will be at convention for purview  & in Concert with
Pianist Richard Glazier Sat At 4 pm At Calif  convention Feb 10 thru 12 CSU Sac.

  Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto,  Ca 95357
209-577-8397