Laminated Soundboards, Dale

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:33:25 EST

Rick
  Well ,.......Thanks for the  kind & supportive words. JMHO & the truth as I
have  experienced   it.

 Sincerely
  Dale Erwin

Dale

I have read and enjoyed greatly so very very many of your  postings
through the years since you popped up here. But I gota say that  this
post, which I reprint below, is the absolute best to come off your
keyboard yet IMHO.  I know I have a tendancy to sound a bit more  crass
then I mean to be,  and often find others expressing meanings I  share in
so much better fashion then I am capable of doing. This posting  is about
as perfect an example of this as I've ever seen.  Thanks  ever so muchly
for taking the time to put this piece together.   Ozzzes with positivism,
optimism... looking forwardism with bright  eyesims... :) I dare say, if
ever any of these alternative methods towards  approaching the task of
fitting the piano with its heart will win the day  over the domination of
Steinways <<way>> as it were (embraced  for whatever reasons by so many)
It will be because of builders who push  onwards with the attitude
exressed below.   I raise my glass,  tip my hat, and bow respectfully.

Sincerely
RicB

Horace & all
Actually this is SO  TRUE. Exposure is a   problem. Access to any type
redesigned boards, in any  configuration  any where, is hard to come by. The
first
rib & CC crowned  board  I ever heard was at Ken Hannahs shop in Stillwater
Minnisota Many  years  ago. At the time This just wasn't being done on the
west
coast  in any numbers by  any one. I had to travel that far for mentoring &
exposure to new  boards.
The first Lam panel & rib  crowned design combination I  had seen at
convention was brought to  Reno at great cost by Ron  O.   The "Overs" piano
was a
pure & clear sounding  beauty & beautiful to look at as well.  I still
remember
that plate in  polished acrlic enamel The sound  & the new Action. Quite
impressive in all  respects..Thanks  Ron
My point is I've been building boards for a while & I've  seen  precious few
done by any one else in any form. So to see a new  ,redesign or rib  crowned
board etc I've had to go to conventions  primarily for this  kind of thing.
So, is it any wonder that  the experience of most technicians  Including me
are with purely  vintage type C.C. crowned boards let  alone rib crowned or
lam/rib  crowned. We  all  as techs have  relatively little to compare  to.
Even the recent discussion of rib crowned or  rib crowned  plus  C.C. or
complete redesign have even suffered a bit of derision  here on the  list
amongst
the brethren. And some  skeptism was  heard , & probably  rightly so,as to
whether these new designs  possibly being as Magic as the  predominantly made
 &
purely  Compression Crowned boards we all have  seen all of our carreers. If
one
has nothing to compare too how can an opinion  be formed?
Our new age thinking on all these matters has a long way to  travel even  in
our own technical community let alone marketing offices   etc.
IMO , & Possibly the most forward thinking  R.D in the   piano world today is
being done by small shops not large Manufacturers.  Will  that ever translate
to different choices in the Market place??  If so  slowly.
Until then I'll take every opportunity get some  exposure to  other folks
piano designs & rebuilt  pianos.
So for now, I believe the best value added pianos available  to  your
clients is quite possibly the ones being rebuilt well by  small shops &
small
Manufactutreres &  IMO is a truly  value added  product. Forgive my shameless
biased
opinion.
By Rebuilt " The Valued Added Piano"
Dale  Erwin
My Restored Stwy D will be at convention for  purview  & in Concert with
Pianist Richard Glazier Sat At 4 pm At  Calif  convention Feb 10 thru 12 CSU
Sac.

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto,  Ca  95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt Steinway , Mason &Hamlin   Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com

----------------------  multipart/alternative attachment