cleaning crusty stickers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:20:13 -0800

I just removed all 88 "fused" square rubber grommets (the kind with the
square fiber nut inside it) from client's 40 year old spinet. Grommets were
so badly deteriorated but had become hardened and frozen to the forks at the
end of the keys. Once the action was removed to my shop, I had to use my
flush cutters to snip and cut the grommets off the forks, which are all
rusted. I will be replacing both the grommets and the forks, but I will be
using the  old sticker wires....Question: What is the best way to remove all
the crusty gunk from the threads? I tried a brass brush, but then I thought
maybe someone can suggest a better, faster way to go through all 88 more
quickly and efficiently. And also what might be the most effecdtive solvent
to "break up" that stuff? (They CAN be cleaned, and that most certainly is
going to be waaaay fater than replacing all of them, which is not
necessary.) thanks all!

Terry Peterson