keytops

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:35:09 -0500 (EST)

Personaly I use two routers and two differant jigs. One jig is switched around for two operations. 1. planes key stick flat, clean, and I take off just enough to keep key height correct.
Next another jig and router for cleaning sides flush. Then back to other jig, switch a part and notch. Final cleaning and rounding over with light files. 20 minutes. Start to finish 3 hours.

Hazen Bannister <hazen@bannisterpiano.com> wrote:
Hi,
I appreciate all the info I've gotten,and I'm going to make a decision
soon.I got a flyer in the mail advertising keytop replacement (whites
only) for 125.00,which unfortunately I discarded. I am curious if
anyone is using some kind of router, or keytop machine, instead of
filing, as I've always done.It seems no matter how careful you are,when
you put them back in the piano,they never have that factory look.
Best,
Hazen Bannister