Archive Garble

Andrew Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:34:35 -0700

> So, am I mis-remembering a cure to a different old problem or does
> posting in "text-only" mode avoid the =20?

The answer really depends on what mail program you are using.  In general,
there are usually preferences you can set that prevent the "quoted-printable"
encoding in outgoing messages.  Many mail programs give you a choice between
"text only" and "text and HTML" and that is completely different from the
quoted-printable "=20" sequences we're talking about.  So unfortunately there
isn't a single answer I can give you -- you have to explore the preferences
menu on your mailer to figure out how to turn them off.

But as I said, virtually every mail program hides these sequences when it
detects a quoted-printable message, and it is just a bug in Mailman that is
letting them through in the digests and archives.  So the real fix is to
get that bug fixed...

-andy