A lesson learned

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:50:41 EST

The scenario:  a nice teacher, not wealthy, with a well-worn Steinway  M from
1916.

The job:  tune, repin hammer flanges in bass octave and treat with  protek to
slow the inevitable onslaught of verdigris.

Finished quickly with repinning, I played the lower octave, and it  sounded
incredibly tubby.  All of the monochords were deadish, while the  neighboring
bichords still had some life to them.  I had a little time, so  I figured I'd
twist the monochords.

The mistake:  loosened the strings 3/4 to a full turn of the pin, but  when I
got to C#1, the coil broke at the becket.  An anomaly, thought  I.  Loosened
the remaining strings less, but still managed to brake another  coil at the
becket.

Lesson learned:  Large diameter old wire, like a large diameter old  person,
is not very flexible.  Half a turn of the tuning pin  should loosen the string
adequately to give it an extra  twist.

The outcome:  Dunno yet, but I'm going to try to talk her into  replacing all
of the monochords at a very reduced price.

Sometimes you learn things the hard way, but those lessons are the most
thoroughly learned, eh?

Dave Stahl