Da Herz revealed

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:21:48 +0100

Hello Ric.

< I dont read french, so anyone who would like to
> translate the piece I posted, which is a graphic from Harding on page 176
> btw, would be appreciated.

Here is my try.  Difficult, though, as the style of the original is typical
romantic bombastic : endless sentences where you have to keep an eye over
what is related to what, and even then, it is not really clear.

Fig. 14. Pianoforte with the sound-board above the strings.  Herz, 1843.

The same letters refer to the same parts in the figures.
A, wooden frame; the purpose of the notches in the frame is to let pass the
sound
produced by the sound-board which is just under there;
B, pinblock, which is in continuation of the frame A, only separated of it
by the
aperture made to facilitate the tuning, and located just behind (sic) the
keyboard.
C, sloping plane forming a beavel in the pinblock, at the edge over the
keyboard,
where the pins are located.
D, gap between the frame A and the pinblock, prolunged until under the
pinblock
and the sound-board, and forming an aperture intended to facilitate the
tuning
and the regulation of the hammers and dampers, as it lets see those from
above.
E, iron archs intended to maintain all the way through the gap D the
distance between
the frame of the pinblock, against which the frame A is resting.
F, strings mounted oblique against the square of the frame.
G, hitch pins block.
H, sound-board placed above the strings.
J, iron frame placed in the direction of string tension, intended to
consolidate
the instrument.
K, key that can be taken out without dismantling the action : it bears in i
the
edge for the hammer set off.
L, hammer.
M, hammer check device mounted on the rocker m, whose pivot n, located on
the key,
determines, as the key moves, the subsequent movement of the check device,
together
with the outer edge of the rocker.
N, hammer escape device, whose jack o escapes on the edge button i of the
key.
The escape system located on the key provides the player with greatest ease
for
playing trills and fast passages.
P, damper rocker bearing at one side the damper p and at the other side the
contact
point r which recieves the capstan s beared by the under rocker t actionned
by the
back side of the key.

N.B. letters J and i are missing in the original. C 120.