ARGHH! Knabes*&^ just venting

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:28:33 -0600

List,

Well, the post-holiday lull seemed like a good oppportunity to begin the rebuild of the small Knabe grand I acquired last year.  A colleague whose rebuilding business is 90% S&S and Mason warned me that Knabes can be a pain.  I'm beginning to see what he meant, and all I've tried to do so far is install the new shanks/flanges.
 - First, run them through the table saw to shorten the flange length so they'll fit inside the lip on the rail.
 - Scare up an extra set of washers, because the counterbore is 2 washers deep and the screw head diameter is too large to sit inside the counterbore.
 - Discover that the spacing in the bass section is so close that there's no room between flanges for spacing, and the knuckles are rubbing on each other.  Ttake them all off again, measure every flange to select the narrowest 25,  and run them through the router table on the modified hammer tapering jig to shave 1/2 mm off the width of the knuckles.

what's next??

thanks for listening, I feel better now.

Mike

Michael Spalding
spalding48@earthlink.net