Square Grand Tuning

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:38:32 -0800

Richard Ucci said: "Joe, thanks for the input. I'm about 5'7" and have =
had lower back problems in the past(moving too many pianos with the old =
man years ago.) I'm thinking I should not schedule any other tunings =
after this one that day."

RU/UP,
IMO, you are too short, by about 1", to "comfortably" tune Square =
Grands! Techs @ 5'8" to 6'2" are less likely to have back problems from =
this job. (I'm 5'11") If you have "back problems", DO NOT exacerbate =
your condition with Square Grands! (Duh!) Refer to a younger/taller =
skilled technician, please. On a "first time Square Grand appointment", =
I block the whole day out. More often than not, there are many repairs, =
etc., to be done, before tuning can commence. Spending time with the =
client to inform them of the shortcomings and attributes of their =
instrument is tatamount to the job, IMHO. One final thing, Take Numerous =
Breaks! These breaks should be with stretching exercises and back =
exercises. There are tricks to getting through the process w/o crippling =
yourself.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police