Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:54:29 +0100

 Udo Steingręber and I got into a conversation about this in Helsinki a
couple years back on the only opportunity I've had to sit and chat with
him.  It was part of a discussion where he was explaining why he felt
compression soundboards were the way to go.  He mentioned something
about the so called K point (I think this is a Klaus Fenner coined
term), which as I understood it was that point on the soundboard where
crown from both along the grain and cross the grain intersect and is at
its highest point. This area is exactly (and always) in the area
typically refered to by american techs as the <<killer octave>> area,
and of course varies somewhat from piano to piano.  It is then  also the
exact point then that is most vunerable to failures.  Udo was of the
position that along the grain crowning was every bit as important as
cross grain crown.  Something to do with along the grain compression due
to downbearing having a stablizing effect on cross grain crown and
strength.  He also meant that both these were needed to produce the kind
of acoustical results he wanted from a soundboard.

I'm under the impression, correct me if I am wrong, that most of the rib
crowned methods extoled on this list do not employ any purposefull along
the grain crowning as part of how the panels are attached to the rim,
and therefor do not have this vunerablity.  It would stand to reason
that they too are not able to create the same acoustical  results....
(whether that is preferable or not is an entirely different subject).

Disclaimer.  This description is my understanding of what Udo was
saying, tho I beleive it is pretty accurate. Not being a soundboard
engineer tho, I'll leave it to more experienced to explain, interpret,
or whathave you the above.

One other thing tho... I've always heard that large changes in pitch,
and destringing / restringing proceedures should be carefull of this
area.... making carefull changes that are appliled very evenly,  exactly
because this area can easily be damaged by sudden large changes in the
stresses applied to the panel as a whole.  Seems to jive well if the
basic view above  is correct to begin with.

Cheers
RicB