Candle wax on keys, how to remove?

Jim Kinnear jim@pianoguy.com
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:26:37 -0500

Perhaps looking at the bright side, those keys that have been 'waxed' =
will be a lot more water resistant to future spills . . . .  ??
I wonder . . ??

Jim Kinnear
www.kinnearpiano.com
Collingwood, ON, Canada

From: Dave Davis=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 11:44 PM
  Subject: [spam] Re: Candle wax on keys, how to remove?

  Hi Doug,

  About a year ago, I removed wax that had been vandalously dripped on a =
perfect set of M & H ivory keys. I'm talking all 88 keys had a thick =
coating of wax, even down in the cracks. I used the little brown hard =
rubber scrapers that my wife bought from Pampered Chef to remove the =
bulk of the wax. Actually, they come in handy quite often in the shop.
  Here is what they look like,
  http://tinyurl.com/64odu

  =
http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=3D=
241&categoryCode=3DFH

  A little odorless mineral spirits to slightly dampen a cloth cleaned =
the remaining residue off the keytops and I used razor blades to scrape =
the keysides. I checked on them last week, and they still look great.=20

  There were a few dribbles of wax that leaked all the way to the front =
rail punchings. I was able to chip the wax off and turn the punching =
over and reuse them.

  Have fun,
  Dave Davis, RPT

  Hubert wrote:
  Hi Mark-

  I removed the keys and used the side of the knives as keytop scrapers. =
I do not remeber the degreaser that I used but it was commercial kitchen =
type. The three candles used were red Christmas decorations. I only =
'froze' the white tops and black sharps. I used the cutting edges on the =
unfinished wood sides. I do not want to do it again. We are in agreement =
here. I was afraid of naptha in the sharps.

  Cheers:

  Hubert Liverman
  Tuner/tech
  Opelika,AL.