Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Arnold Duin aduin@euronet.nl
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:43:08 +0100

Hi Richard

Unfortunately I have to tell you there is no K-point although the K sounds
appealing it is just the highest point on the soundboard and it has nothing
to do with the choice to use the rib or the compression crowning method. As
I understand Steingraeber& Sons uses a different method to crown a board
then Mr. Klaus Fenner explains in his book. They both use the compression
crowned method though.

When you picture a spherical shape and drop a soundboard on top of that and
let it take on the shape of that sphere then there will be a highest point
on that board. The highest point will be on different places dependent on
how you place your board on the sphere, resulting in possible curvature in
the direction of the long bridge. Mr. Klaus Fenner wanted to shift the
tension (if that is the right word) in the board to the treble side to get a
better adoptation to the higher frequencies which he called a
asymmetrical-spherical soundboard crown. Steingraeber sound boards (as I
understand) has his highest point more in the middle of the board and shapes
his rim to accommodate and support the spherical form of the board. (Mr.
Fenner also shapes the rims) which is a different method than Fenners uses.

Greetings

Arnold