More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:16:37 -0800

I should have said stiffness in the panel versus stiffness in the
assembly.  I mean that in terms of acoustic properties.=20
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:35 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise
=20
Another very basic question about these design elements:  Is there a
difference between tension in the panel and stiffness of the panel?  I
mean that in terms of the physical properties of the panel.
Intuitively, it seems that the CC board would be under greater tension
owing to the crowing process.  While the same amount of stiffness might
be achieved by how the board is loaded and the amount of bearing, does
tension (whatever that is) play a role in tonal output?
=20
Another question is this:  A CC board, as we=92ve discussed, runs a
greater risk of compression set and cellular wood damage due to the fact
that it bears some of the load that is born by the ribs to a greater
degree in a RC board.  Do I have that right?  If that=92s the case, how =
do
we know that it isn=92t the fact that the panel bears more of the load
that contributes to the tonal output.  While the ribs may bear the load
and spare the panel to some degree, is there not a tonal price to be
paid for that.  Which isn=92t to say that an RC board can=92t be made to
sound acceptable or good, they obviously can, but will it sound
different by virtue of the type of crowning and what is that difference,
if any?  I think that=92s an important question. =20