Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:04:19 -0600

>I have a related question about downbearing.  It would seem that a CC
>board prior to the application of string bearing is already under a
>certain amount of tension due to the crowning process as compared to a RC
>board.

Compression, yes.

>That being the case, and if a certain amount of tension/stiffness is a
>goal common to both types, might it not be the case that the amount of
>bearing required in a RC board would be greater than in a CC board to
>achieve the same tonal output.
>

>David Love

Stiffness is the goal, and an RC board can be made to any stiffness you
like to accommodate any realistic bearing schedule that pleases you. The CC
board will be as stiff, and only as stiff as the expansion of that
particular panel provides, will be much more erratic from panel to panel,
and is as a result more limited in the downbearing ranges it will accept
and still function for a reasonable length of time.

Ron N