S+S Keys

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:26:56 -0500

Clark,

You can figure this out yourself. Measure in millimeters the total width
of the keyboard from note 1 to 88. Then divide by 52. Subtract 1.5mm for
the negative spaces between the keys.  1.5mm is the space found between
the heads on new keyboards.

I build out the sides with sugar pine veneer I make myself on the table
saw. I cut them at various thickness' from .5mm to 1.5mm. I select the
heads that need shimming and plane the sides smooth with a block plane.
This will make for a better glue joint. I select veneer for one or both
sides to get the desired width, usually about 22.5mm.

I find that the German single piece plastic key tops from Pianotek
(KTF-4W) are just the right width for Steinway grands. These are the
same tops Bob uses for new keyboards and are now available cut into
individual pieces.

John Hartman X-PTG

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin