Our good old ETD's

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:48:18 -0700

This is an interesting difference.  Having an ETD along while tuning is
what set me apart (in the customer's mind) from the mediocre amateur
tooners that  did "Picasso" tunings on their pianos in the past.  I used a
Peterson 490 St which had customizable stretch profiles for some
time.  Naturally I had to rely on my ear to select and customize stretch to
fit the piano in front of me.  I switched to the Verituner VT100 with the
idea that it would shorten the time I spent idealizing stretch profiles for
a new piano.
I was dissapointed.  The analog tuner responds much faster than the digital
one does.  I had to revise my tuning methodology to fit the new tuner.  I
like to do tests and the like, check aurally, as I go and the VT100
discourages that.  It is an all or nothing device.   That said, I have
become more precise rendering notes as the standard setting on the VT100 is
very sensitive.  It is also much more sensitive, reliable, in marginal
conditions than the Peterson.  I wish it came with a foot pedal like the
Peterson because the auto-note system wanders too much on large (60 cents
or more) pitch raises.  It comes with a great library of tuning
temperaments and is customizable for stretch preferences etc.  Would I go
back? No.  I'd like if it was faster but it does do a lot more.  I guess
faster might be going strictly aural.  Something I like to do on nice pianos.

Andrew