Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:00:55 -0500

ANY soundboard that is crowned across the grain, after it is installed, has
crown along the grain.

Period.

No exceptions.

Unless of course, the rim is contoured such that it is elevated at the very
treble end and at the bass end with endpoints formed by a line perpendicular
to rib midpoints (or there-abouts) - that is, the rim is contoured such that
the soundboard forms a structure much like a tunnel. But I am not aware of
anyone doing that.

And what is the significance of "two crowns intersect is the highest point
of the assembly"? Yes, I suppose any soundboard with crown will have a line
of maximum crown along and perpendicular to the grain, but it presumably
will have crown at all other points of the assembly (although, sadly, some
do not).

Terry Farrell

SNIP
> Seems like some soundboard installation proceedures stress the panel
> in this sense as part of attaching it to the rim, or as part of how they
> crown the panel to begin with. In anycase, some piano manufactures end up
> with a panel that has both cross grain crown and crown along the grain.
And