Picasso tuning

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:02:38 -0500

My recollection is that the term was coined around the time, shortly
after the  "new" tuning exam was created in the late 70s and started
its full implementation in the early 80s. Ben Mcklveen wrote a brief
article about how he took the exam -- and didn't pass! He had tuned the
treble notes "the way he (and his many concert venue customers) liked
them" -- more stretched than the 2:1 octaves that the exam instructions
explicitly demand. Nothing wrong with that in the "real world", but
sometimes exams make artificial demands, and he hadn't complied with
them.
I think later in the article he comments that certain unnamed S&S
concert technicians routinely stretched far more than he did, and some
might them "Picasso tuners" -- going far beyond the standard book
definitions of what a "good" tuning is supposed to be, while at the
same time being a perfect tuning for the concert pianist. And, if the
term is used respectfully, the term acknowledges the years of learning
and basic craftsmanship the true artist develops before launching out
out on their Abstract Period.
Patrick Draine