More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Rais

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:29:26 -0600

Could someone please tell me what the "authentic Steinway sound" is?  I
really haven't a clue.  I've heard wonderful Steinways, mediocre
Steinways and some truly dreadful ones.  I can't tell what is common to
all of those.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 7:29 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Rais

The question is whether or not there is some common acoustic properties
and
tendancies that CC boards have in general that RC and RC&S boards do
not.
Of course no two boards are acoustically identical, and I dare say that
goes
for any type of construction.

And the question is not whether both methods sound good or not, one has
assume a competant builder can achieve <<good>> results. The question is

whether any general acoustical difference is what the builder is after
or not.

This (the below) reasoning leads in the direction of trying to have it
both
ways. Either there is a difference or there is not.  Whatever
differences
there are can not be simply discounted by throwing in words like
"meaningfull" or "significant" without any further qualification. And as
whether or not one can hear the difference... well I can just only ask
who
else has got that "Steinway sound" besides Steinway ?

When someone makes a RC&S board and puts it into a Steinway D rim, and
puts
the darned thing on the stage of Carnegie Hall and fools everyone with
its
<<authentic Steinway sound>> then one can begin to make such claims.
Until
then... the evidence really rather does point in the opposite direction.

Cheers
RicB

Ron Nossaman writes:

What two CC boards coming out of the Steinway NY factory are
acoustically
equivalent? Much mileage is given to the concept of the uniquely
individualistic nature of each piano produced by these methods. Why do
you
suppose that is? Why don't we turn this around and see if anyone can
produce CC boards that are acoustically equivalent to a good RC&S board?
Whatever that may be. Again, if there is a meaningful acoustic
difference
between these two construction methods, one should be able to tell by
listening, which method was used. If they both sound good, they both
sound
good.

Ron N