unusual upright pics -- J. Bauer

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:55:02 -0600

Hi Joe,

>From an ealier post I think these are pictures of a J. Bauer upright that may have been made around the 1920's.  But your comments interest me because I am just beginning to learn about some of the varieties of piano designs that have been out there even since the later 1800's.  What struck me about your comments was that the design looked to you pretty normal for a Chickering or Geo. Steck -- did they or other makers have ribs on the string side of the soundboard (or on both sides, like the J. Bauer) and/or a bass bridge raised up on, and connected only to the SB through, dowels (or in this case to the apron and then the SB)?

I don't think you can tell from the pictures and I'm not too clear on it yet, but I think the J. Bauer also had a deep plate rim that would take over the role of the wood inner rim if this were a grand.

Scott, thanks for putting these interesting pics up.  It sort of looks like the pinblock might be supported by a flange in the plate, too.  Did you see the back of this piano -- I'm wondering if it had a less massive cross-piece atop the backposts and maybe generally lighter construction in the back, maybe sort of like the Bush & Lanes (or Astin-Weights) that have a plate-flange supported pinblock.

Cheers,

Trent Lesher

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net  <mailto:joegarrett%40earthlink.net>
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:28:51 -0800

Scott,
Since you don't show a manufacturer name, I'd say it looks like an early =
Chickering or Geo. Steck. Looks pretty normal for a piano made around =
1875-80.<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

****** IMPORTANT NOTICE ******
This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me
at (312) 207-1000 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any
e-mail and any printout thereof.