unusual upright pics

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:02:36 -0800

Trent said:"From an ealier post I think these are pictures of a J. Bauer =
upright that may have been made around the 1920's.  But your comments =
interest me because I am just beginning to learn about some of the =
varieties of piano designs that have been out there even since the later =
1800's.  What struck me about your comments was that the design looked =
to you pretty normal for a Chickering or Geo. Steck -- did they or other =
makers have ribs on the string side of the soundboard (or on both sides, =
like the J. Bauer) and/or a bass bridge raised up on, and connected only =
to the SB through, dowels (or in this case to the apron and then the =
SB)? "

Trent,
My comments were made w/tongue firmly planted in cheek.<G> As I work on =
a lot of "weird" stuff, this piano falls in that category. In the mid to =
late 19th century there was a lot of experimental stuff going on.
Although I have never seen a Chickering or Geo. Steck with ribs on both =
sides of the S.B., I have seen it. Also have seen an upright with two =
S.B.s, two plates and two sets of strings! Back to Back! Truly Weird! =
Strange sound as well. The deep, (thick) struts were more common on many =
of that era. A few had the soundboards mounted to the Plate, which was =
full perimeter, etc. The Geo. Steck had "pockets" cast into the plate =
that "housed" the pin blocks. This dictated that the tuning pins had to =
be a specific length AND that ya darned well better not "drive" the =
tuning pins, lest you crack the plate!~! Yikes! That was a fun =
rebuild!<G> The tuning pin size was 2"! Since no one makes such a =
critter, I had to employ a "high end" machine shop to cut off regular =
tuning pins and then Degrease them, etc. You don't even want to know how =
much that cost!<G>
As for Chickerings, I don't think any two were alike during that period. =
He sold his prototypes, IMO. Makes for all kinds of fun.<G>=20

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I