More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:16:49 -0800

I didn't want this discussion to dry up too quickly as I still have a
few--at least--unanswered questions.

So let's amplify this point a bit for my own clarification (forgive me,
I'm a bit slow sometimes).  It stands to reason that the uncompressed
panel is less stiff than the compressed panel, I think we agree on that.
The overall stiffness of the entire assembly (CC vs RC&S), however, is
relatively the same because the ribs in the RC&S board are stiffer than
in the CC board and the way the panel and ribs combine produce an
overall stiffness measured in terms of the whole assembly.  But if the
panel in the RC&S board is somewhat less stiff than the compressed panel
in the CC board how would you not expect that to have some effect on the
tone?  While the assemblies may both move up and down at the same rate,
might the overall stiffness of the panel, as opposed to the overall
assembly, have an effect, say, on which partials are damped and which
are not and the balance of those?  So if the slightly less stiff panel
has a greater damping effect, then the perception would be a somewhat
less lively or expressive, for lack of better words, tone.  I guess that
was a question.