Balance Rail Holes - Worn

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:02:15 -0700

barr8345@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>I have had great success repairing this type of damage using maple veneer. Mount a balance rail pin in a scrap board, position key upside down and saw a kerf the thickness of the veneer about 1/4 inch deep using the balance rail pin as a guide. Glue the veneer in this kerf and you will have a permanent repair. I can't remember which manufacturer's rep suggested this repair to me but it does work.
>
>Norman Barrett
>Memphis Chapter

    I didn't look at the pictures, but my own old upright had extremely
worn and over-treated balance pin holes.  They'd been eased, shimmed,
sized, poked, elongated, etc.   I almost went the Spurlock route of
inserting 1/8" basswood inserts (see May 1990  Journal) but decided I
didn't want to do that much work.  So I opted for installing oversize
balance rail pins.  I did drill the key holes on the drill press, with
the table set at the correct angle, but I was able to just drive the new
pins into the existing holes in the balance rail without drilling them
out first.  See also Susan Graham's article in Oct 1988 Journal; and for
the front pin mortise, Fern Henry's article in the May 1989 Journal.
    --David Nereson, RPT