More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:58:11 +0100

I have to dissagree with the assesment below

This discussion has pitted a variaty of differing opinions and biases out
there in fairly typical round table discussion. Objectivity often suffers,
understandably so I might add, when one burns brightly for ones own
perspectives.

Further I would point out that most participants are not discussing from a
standpoint of trying to <<prove>> that one or another method is more or less
successfull then another.  Should one actually wish to argue that point,
which I personally find uninteresting to begin with, then it is simply
impossible to ignore that the overwhelmingly vast majority of concert
pianists will choose instruments that employ CC boards.  I know thats a
thorn in some folks side... but hey... there it is. But as I said... who
cares ?... certainly not me.

I find it praiseworthy at the very least that there are those who find
alternative methods of building soundboards. I take if for granted that
history will tell the tale (if there is any to be told) about which of these
ends up being viable enough or not.  I find it ludicrous to assert that one
method provides better sound (long or short term) as what constitutes the
<<better>> sound is far to subjective a concept to define well enough to
begin with, and again... the only real possible jury there can be (the
buying public) is rather out on that from a purely statistical point of view
anyways.

I fail to see that needing significant building experience with both types,
or any experience at all is needed to assess musical qualities of a
soundboard. Nor has the technical side of this discussion required any
significant degree of insight into how soundboards function.

Cheers RicB

David Porritt writes:

My point is we get these concepts that seem to our intuition to be
workable though we have not actually done them.  This discussion has
pitted those with firmly held conceptual ideas of what a CC or RC&S
board will do against a very few who have actually built both kinds.  I
have never (and at this point in my life won't ever) built a sounding
board.  I have, however, learned enough to pay somewhat more attention
to those who have actually built them, over those who have some
intuitive concept of what probably happens.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu