More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:05:25 +0100

This is rather a seeked point. The CC board assembly certainly does become
stiffer because of the cross grain compression in the panel. What does it
matter that a free floating panel which more compressed then another one
experiences less of an increase in stiffness then is perhaps popularly
believed ?

Ron N wrote.

Apparently not. Compressing the panel doesn't make it stiffer. it makes it
more compressed, which makes the assembly stiffer because of the geometry
of the assembly.

and

It was never the intent of makers of RC&S boards that they should sound
exactly like CC boards. We want them to sound good, and the many CC boards
out there that don't sound good are what drives the desire to try and
eliminate the down-side. Dale said it well. We're trying to keep the best
features of the CC board without their inherent problems and inconsistencies.

I would like to point out tho that Dale also stated that he prefered the
<<sound>> of boards that had a some compression support of crown built into
them.  I dare say every soundboard manufacturer is trying to build a board
that has the most positives and the least negatives. It is this last that is
truely the core of such discussions... and as I've said many a time
before... each is free and in their perfect right to pass whatever value
judgements they desire.... for themselves. The attempt to try and define
these as universal truths however will always fail... falling upon its own
unreasonablness... expectedly enough.

Cheers
RicB