More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:37:34 -0600

>Well this is an important point.  Why doesn't compressing the panel make
>it stiffer?  It seems like it must?

I don't see why it would. Increasing panel compression levels, or making a
panel less prone to deformation by compression (dense hard close grain
wood, laminated panel, or epoxied) will make the assembly stiffer under
bearing load, but I don't see any reason to assume the panel gets stiffer
under compression.

>Even if compression and stiffness
>are not synonymous in this discussion, then the question is does
>compression itself change the physical and acoustical properties of the
>panel?
>
>David Love

Physical properties? Yes, it crushes the cellular structure. Acoustical
properties?  I don't have any way of ascertaining that one way or another.

Ron N