More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:53:51 +0100

Ron

All this (at the bottom of page)just goes to show exactly what I and
many many others have been saying all along. There is nothing <<wrong>>
with any of the methods currently employed to make fine sounding and
long lasting soundboards.

Each method will no doubt have its own acoustic characteristics, and
that selfenlightinging fact simply wont be altered no matter how anyone
tries to turn the facts around, redefine what is important or not for a
soundboard or the rest of it.

Finally, and for the umpteenth millionth time... the only judgment
passed on any of these RC&S boards I know about is that these too
demonstrate yet another successful way of going about things.  That
successful-ness however does not detract from the success of alternative
methods... no matter how traditional they are.

Cheers
RicB

And Ron... if you are going to quote me... I would appreciate it if you
use whole sentences instead of half ones that reverse the intended
meaning of the sentence.  The quote

/". . . to <<prove>> that one or another method is more or less
/>/successful then another.  Should one actually wish to argue that
/>/point . . . then it is simply impossible to ignore that the
/>/overwhelmingly vast majority of concert pianists will choose
/>/instruments that employ CC boards."

/conveniently left out of the beginning/

"Further I would point out that most participants are not discussing from a
standpoint of trying..... to <<prove>> etc." /

It is however apparent that this does not include everyone.

Concert pianists have indeed had plenty of alternatives to choose from...
tho perhaps not so many of the RC&S sort.... and so what ?  Whos trying
to show one or the other is better ??... or perhaps more correctly said,
whos trying to show one or the other is inferior ?

Cheers
RicB

Ron O writes:

I realize that many believe that some panel compression is required
for a satisfactory result - even Dale. But I suspect that we might
still be a long way from the end of the RC&S 'development road. In
time, even Dale might change his view. I might change mine. But at
this time, clearly Dale is getting some wonderful results with his
own sound boards. The re-boarded D he took to the recent convention
has won many fans. As far as I know, our no. 5  is the only fuller
RC&S boarded piano to have a CD made from it. Del and Ron or Terry,
any recordings from your pianos out there? The recording of our first
CD on no. 5 will be completed today. Greg Newell, I'll let the list
know when the CD is being released for sale. I'll put some Mp3 from
the sessions on the website sometime soon.

Since there are virtually no pianos out there with RC&S boards for
anyone to hear at this time, perhaps before passing judgment, we
should all try a couple of the new RC&S construction instruments
before rejecting it as inferior technology. I have to tell you that
for me, while I am gaining experience and drawing some conclusions,
many questions remain.

Ron O.