Great old pianos with big, fat ribs........

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:59:21 -0800 (PST)

Most of the great old pianos I have, with plenty of
crown remaining, have very substantial ribs which are
wider than they are deep. It has been said that an RC
board should have ribs which are deeper and wide, and
it has been said ( by Terry ) that thesse old pianos,
such as mine: Knabe, Ivers and Pond, Packard, ARE RC.
So why do contemorary RC builders invertthe formula
which has held these pianos so well? My Packard
( free ) has about 10 cracks in the board, but still
has plenty of crown and sounds like rolling thunder. )
     Also: My previous question was ignored: "What, in
terms of construction, is the difference between an RC
and an RC&S board!
     Thanks in advance,

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>