Finishing questions

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:25:25 -0500

Mark,
         Good advice, all! I AM using the trans tint dyes from powder and
have mixed them to what I thought was pretty dark. It just seems to sit on
top but I swear all the finish is off. Perhaps talking to Jeff directly
will reveal some light on this. The owner (I called her) swears that this
piano does not get direct sunlight as it sit only near a northern exposure
window but not directly in front of it.
I have not tried to spray it on. Perhaps that is what I am missing but it
seems to bead up on top when I use the brush. I'd rather get closer so as
not to have to use toners if I can avoid it. I've never liked the result
after using those the few times I have. Seems to muddy the finish a bit.
Thanks so much for your timely response! I wish someone would write an
article or a book about the common refinishing problems we face and how to
deal with them. I've read through peoples "steps" and sometimes I come away
with more questions than answers.

Many Thanks,
Greg