More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:42:28 -0800 (PST)

 While the assemblies  may both move up and
> down at the same rate,
> might the overall stiffness of  the panel, as
> opposed to the overall
> assembly, have an effect, say, on  which partials
> are damped and which
> are not and the balance of those?

David, begging your pardon, I think it would be
helpful for purposes of conceptualization to see the
vibrations as rippling across the board, as a stone
causes ripples in the water, rather than the whole
assembly pumping up and down. I am no expert on these
matters, but I consider that more probable.
     Not stiff enough: the vibrations get wasted as
heat energy within the board. Too stiff: they are
transferred to the case and lost there ( after a quick
initial "boom" )
     That is my "gut" feeling on the matter. A board's
job is to create sound waves from as much of the
vibrations as possible before they pass into the rim.
Or are absorbed internally. How to create conditions
conducive is our job. I suspect it has much to do with
an interface of tensed and compressed molecules.
     Thump