More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:33:21 -0800

Well, not thousands.  I do have a large selection of sample hammers of
various types that I use just for this purpose.  I have a couple of
tenor and a couple of treble hammers from a variety of makers and I do
keep a few sets of my typical choices in stock.  In this case, I did go
on autopilot and hang the whole set of Steinway hammers which I then had
to pull off and hang a new set.  I'll reuse the Steinway hammers, on
another job at some point, so that's not a loss.   And I did find that I
can prepare and hang a set of hammers very quickly when need arises.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dean May
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:02 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

>> David wrote: It took some work to find the right hammer.  As I
posted, it needed something different and when I found the right
combination (and the board seemed picky about which hammer went on it),
the tone was very satisfying.

I really appreciate all of the experience that has been shared on this
discussion.

David's experience of going through several different styles of hammers
before finding the "right" one is particularly intriguing. Now it is no
trivial thing to try on different sets of hammers. There is considerable
expense in the hammers themselves, and considerable expense in hours
spent installing, voicing and regulating. David's experiment which he
shared for free has no doubt cost him several thousand dollars on this
one piano.

Kinda makes it sound like what we are engaged in can be an expensive
hobby, eh? ;-)

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359