OT help in buying a cello

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:35:53

Hi Greg,

Make sure she has an excellent bow.

Her teacher should be very involved in the process of selecting an instrument.

Buy the very best instrument you can afford and it will appreciate over time.

Strings are more like putting fuel in your car. A particular instrument
with a particular bow may do well with a particular make of strings. Again
the teacher should be involved.

At 09:12 PM 17/02/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings string playing members,
>         I was hoping that perhaps someone on this list has had experience
>buying, playing etc. cellos. I'm faced with the situation some of our own
>piano service customer fret about i.e. purchasing an instrument for their
>offspring. I'm having some amount of difficulty helping my daughter select
>something within a modest price range (under $5,000). Seems I'm not too
>interested in all the mystique over how the lacquers were applied and
>whether or not it was in the sun or in the shade and on which side of the
>grassy knoll. I'd like to get a feel for what in the construction of these
>things makes one better than another and why. Like our own field there is
>much that goes into setting up an instrument for use and what quality of
>strings, bow, etc. makes the biggest difference. If anyone can help
>quantify some of this for me I'd truly love to hear from you!
>
>Appreciatively,
>Greg Newell
>
>Greg Newell
>Greg's piano Forté