A piano that's aging quickly

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:37:18 -0500

I've seen 'em wear out in a few months on a heavily beat-upon piano! Not =
common, but it happens. Sounds like time for leather bushings!

Terry Farrell

  Liszters,=20

  About a year and a half ago, I got a call from some people who were =
deperate for a string replacement on their piano.  I set a date to come =
out and do the job, as well as tune it.  They've been regular clients =
ever since. =20

  The piano in question is a Kawai RX-3, around 4 years old.  The =
teenage boy who plays it is a multi-competition winner, a very powerful =
player.  At the last appointment in November, I told them that since =
they aren't financially well off, I'd give them a good price for several =
hours of much-needed maintenance.  Prior to calling me, they'd had a =
tuner who made his real living as a teacher, and thus had 0 skills with =
other facets of piano technology(and precious few skills as a tooner).  =
So the piano had been a bit neglected.

  Today I spent 4 hours at the house doing some regulation, lubrication, =
and tuning.  When I arrived, just about every part that could squeak =
did.  Several of the damper underlever leads had been knocked loose(an =
ongoing problem here) and were clacking.  What amazed me was the amount =
of wear in the key bushings.  I've seen less play in pianos 50 years =
older! =20

  This 16 year old kid has put a lifetime of wear on a piano by playing =
it the way he plays it for 2 hours a day every day of the year.  And =
he's going to Rice next year to major in Bio-engineering...some people =
have all the brains and talent!

  I don't have that much experience with people who play this often with =
this much power.  Is it normal to wear out key bushings in less than 5 =
years?

  Just wondering,

  Dave Stahl