Dumb Tuner moves -/ lost tool

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:47:03 -0500 (EST)

We are a quirky bunch when it comes to tools. I love them, especially piano tools. I have collected hundreds of them, especially really old ones. But I too have a special screw driver. Basic hardwood handle, steel shank. I bought it at a fleee market ten years ago for .50 cents. After all these years and all those giant extra tight piano screws, the blade is like new. On the other hand I have broken twisted and chipped dozens of other "new" ones. I have bought many old piano tools from retiring guys, tools cases, gadgets, and widgets. All displayed in antique glass and oak cases. I am obsessed. I also search for piano memorabilia like tools with company names on them, or promo items from supply companys. In my twilight years I hope to add a piano museum to my workshop and tell people about the "good ole days" when they drop by.

Carl Teplitski <koko99@shaw.ca> wrote:A couple of days ago, I was at a friends house tuning his daughters
piano. Well we were discussing golf ,
put the piano back together, and headed straight to his workshop to see
his new golf club, which he's
assembling .Well, next day I'm out on a tuning and looking for my long ,
slim, wood handle screw driver,
which I use to insert the tuning felt. My favorite tool . About
12 in. long, and I use it for everything, almost.
Had one many years ago, and misplaced it. I'm still in mourning for it.
Went over the places I'd been to where
I probably used it, and decided I must have left it at my friends
place, so I called him. No luck, guess it must be
in the piano. Went back today, and took the fallboard off, and there was
that sucker, laying on the bass end of
the keyboard. Hardly could tell it was there when you played the keys,
unless you happened to play the correct
sharp key. Also have lost a small screw driver, which I was really
attached to. Got over that one fairly easily,
but this one , would have been tramatic.

Carl / Winnipeg