Action Friction problem, Methanol

Doug Renz Piano Tuning / Repair pianotuner@frontiernet.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:56:43 -0500

I went to tune for a customer and they commented about their action not
being the same sine they moved from British Columbia to Upstate New
York.  When I pressed down on the sustain pedal, the hammers would only
hit the string once and then not repeat.  I think I need to loosen up
fome friction points, and if you can think of where this might happen,
let me know.  I have to take out the action.  IT was a Baldwin console
upright. Nice piano tune.

Some fellow technicians said that you can use Methanol to loosen up the
action friction and this has worked well for them.  Do you know where
you can purchase Methanol?

Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Doug Renz
Associate PTG
Rochester, NY
pianotuner@frontiernet.net