More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:51:09 EST

Dave
  Another variable to keep in mind is that many of us are  using sitka spruce
panels & the older designs used predominantly a softer  eastern wood. Softer
wood under compression requires more thickness for strenght  to survive. WHere
as Sitka is stiffer denser having the greatest strength to  wieght ratio. SO
it can be thinner in the designs of any kind. It depends on  your idea of mass
in the panel too.
    I keep that in mind when I'm choosing panel  thickness. This is also a
variable that could effect part of the equation for  hammer selection.
 I.E> many old Stwy A 2s had panels routinely .360 in  the main part of the
panel. With Sitka .320 to 340 is plenty even if you were  stricitly compression
crowning.
  Dale

Well I meant that  more as a question than a statement.  One thing that does
interest me is how  CC vs RC&S methods influence, either in design  or
execution, the relationship between mass and spring rate and how that might  relate
to proper hammer matching.   Which system,  for example, tends to have a
thicker panel?  It seems that the  CC panel is generally thicker in the center and
tapered toward the rim whereas  the RC&S panel is slightly thinner and more
uniform in thickness (except  maybe around the bass perimeter).  Is that
correct?  Might not the difference in mass  distribution of the CC panel explain
differences in hammer matching and  potentially some tonal differences?  It seems
that the CC panel requires a  much denser and possibly less flexible hammer
than the RC&S board (at  least in my experience).  Whether  the tone production
potential between the two with appropriate hammers is  net/net, is something I
can't really answer but do wonder about.  The subject might point to some
differences.

David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net