OT help in buying a cello

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:12:39

Hi Terry,

Of all musicians pianists/keyboard players are the least knowledgeable
about their instruments. All others are expected to learn routine maintenance.

Look around for a specialty string instrument store.

At 07:43 AM 18/02/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe cello teachers are much more knowledgeable about their instruments
>than piano teachers, but my experience with piano teachers suggests that a
>minority of them are capable to steer a buyer to a decent piano.
>
>That is funny though, when you think about it. I know that I can be pretty
>darn critical of a piano owner's lack of knowledge about technical aspects
>of pianos, but I have bought trumpets and clarinets for my son, and, let me
>tell 'ya, I went at it with less than zero knowledge. Indeed, such a
>purchase can be daunting.
>
>Does Larry Fine have a cello book? Does he have a cellist cousin?
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> Make sure she has an excellent bow.
>>
>> Her teacher should be very involved in the process of selecting an
>instrument.
>>
>> Buy the very best instrument you can afford and it will appreciate over
>time.
>>
>> Strings are more like putting fuel in your car. A particular instrument
>> with a particular bow may do well with a particular make of strings. Again
>> the teacher should be involved.
>>
>> At 09:12 PM 17/02/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Greetings string playing members,
>> >         I was hoping that perhaps someone on this list has had
>experience
>> >buying, playing etc. cellos. I'm faced with the situation some of our own
>> >piano service customer fret about i.e. purchasing an instrument for their
>> >offspring. I'm having some amount of difficulty helping my daughter
>select
>> >something within a modest price range (under $5,000).
>> >Greg Newell

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7