More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:25:00 -0800

Just to clarify:  A lower spring rate means the board moves more easily
or less?

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 7:21 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

>Well I meant that more as a question than a statement.  One thing that
>does interest me is how CC vs RC&S methods influence, either in design
or
>execution, the relationship between mass and spring rate and how that
>might relate to proper hammer matching.  Which system,  for example,
tends
>to have a thicker panel?

The CC board.

>It seems that the CC panel is generally thicker in the center and
tapered
>toward the rim whereas the RC&S panel is slightly thinner and more
uniform
>in thickness (except maybe around the bass perimeter).  Is that
correct?

Usually, but CC boards aren't necessarily tapered or diaphragmmed, and
RC&S
boards could be if you wanted.

>Might not the difference in mass distribution of the CC panel explain
>differences in hammer matching and potentially some tonal differences?

I don't think so.

>It seems that the CC panel requires a much denser and possibly less
>flexible hammer than the RC&S board (at least in my experience).
Whether
>the tone production potential between the two with appropriate hammers
is
>net/net, is something I can't really answer but do wonder about.  The
>subject might point to some differences.
>

>David Love

I think it is mostly spring rate differences. The RC&S board will have a

less progressive spring rate than the CC board (because of the lower
panel
compression), and probably a lower spring rate as well (though not
necessarily). Because of this, I think the amplitude of vibration will
be
greater in the RC&S board, which might explain the different hammer
requirements. An RC&S board with a laminated panel should have a more
progressive spring rate (steeper gradient) than one with a planked
spruce
panel because of the relative incompressibility of the laminated panel.

Ron N