More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:29:35 -0600

>Similar to the D but with treble fish.  Bass bridge was slightly
>modified shortening the cantilever but not eliminating it.  Compound
>cut-off.  Original rib positions.  Interestingly, Steinway hammers
>worked on the D, but not on the A.  The D hammers needed quite a bit of
>beefing up with lacquer though.  On the A, a firm hammer was also
>necessary but it didn't sound good with lacquer.  Whether or not the
>hammer I used was the "perfect" hammer.  I don't know.  You have to stop
>somewhere.  It was the best sound from what I had.  Many of the Steinway
>boards have a bit more of a "woof" in the tenor at the attack.  The
>attack on these pianos is firmer, not harsh, but very solid.  Some
>people may not like that who are used to something with a bit more give
>in this section--a little more dark and mysterious maybe.

No matter what is done, some people won't like it.

>.  But whether that's
>due to the ribbing style or the cut-off, I can't say.  I suppose the
>next experiment would be to RC&S the board without the cut-off and see
>what that yields.  But this is the sort of experimenting that can be
>dangerous and I am reluctant to ask for it not really knowing what it
>will produce.
>
>David Love

That's a step backward. I think the next step is cutoff, fish, fanned rib
scale (with more ribs), plate modifications, and a transition bridge in a 5
1/2' - 7' piano to get a listen at the whole package working together.

Ron N