More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:46:38 -0600

>Ron:
>
>Could I ask you to amplify a bit on what progressive and lower and
>higher spring rates mean?
>
>David Love

Board A has a 5mm crown, deflects to 3mm crown under load. Board B has a
7mm crown, deflects to 3mm under an identical load. Both are supporting
identical loads with identical remaining crown, but A has a higher spring
rate, and B will move farther under a given impulse than A.

Rib (beam) deflection is linear. If 10 lbs deflects a rib x distance then
20 lbs will deflect is x*2 distance and 5 lbs will deflect it x/2. That's a
constant spring rate. Soundboard assemblies are non linear in deflection.
If 50 lbs deflects a board x distance, 100 lbs deflects it less than x*2,
but 25 lbs deflects it more than x/2. As the load increases, the spring
rate also increases. That's a progressive spring rate, and I think the
panel compression is responsible for this.

Ron N