More CC vs RC questions was RE: Killer Octave & Pitch Raise

Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:53:52 +0100

Hi Arnold

Thats what I mean by the issue being overstated.  This is basically the
standpoint taken by those who argue that lacquered hammers can be made
to sound very similiar to needled hammers.  A given instrument with its
own soundboard / scale / rim / ets... will require a certain amount of
hardness / resiliency / etc etc... to come within that window of fine
piano sound.  Many hammers can be manipulated to accomplish this... some
easier then others.  Depending on how you go about it, the hammer itself
can impart its own bit of colour to the picture as well..  Some like to
soften the shoulders up and harden the nob under the crown... others
like to insure a very firm shoulder and manipulate the crown areal
only... some do either with or without lack.

Of course tho... certain hammers bring themselves easier into line for a
given piano.  The thing I've enjoyed about the Wurzens from Renner is
that they work so well on so many different pianos. Certainly the Bossie
is a very different instrument from the Steinway, and from the Bluthner,
and from again a Bechstein.  But I've used these now on all of these
without any difficulty in getting a very good sound.  Having Andre as my
teacher, and scoring extremely high at Hamatsu in voicing.... I have to
assume I have a decent enough handle on what a good voicing job ends up
being. So my own position on hammers ends up being the same.  A good
resilient felt, pressed to the appropriate degree for any given
instrument... and the rest is up to the voicer.

A while back Del wrote a bit about hammers, and from what I got out of
it he seemed most concerned with being able to know these basic
characterisitics ahead of time far more then he was concerned with
anything else. Even the actual dead weight was much less interesting. He
no doubt will correct this if it is in error.

Cheers
RicB

Arnold writes

....But then on the other hand we use our Wurzen
hammer for a modern Boesendorfer and for an old one,  we also use them
for old Steinway's and newer one.  Sometimes different shapes,
different  amount of stitches but still they are the same felt and we
have great results and I don't think we are easy to please. Maybe it
has something to do with the different taste in sound here in Europe
and in the US.

Greetings
Arnold