was dumb tool-now temperment strip insertion

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:48:58 -0500

Carl,
    If we are talking verticals here and stripping the whole piano, I =
insert the strip above the dampers with my hand and then use a tool to =
slip the inserted strip first between the damper felt and the strings =
(carefully)  ,then move it again into the space  below the damper heads =
and above the wooden part of the levers.
    The tool I use to do this is the steel bar sold by Schaff as a false =
beat suppressor .
    There is certainly nothing wrong with any method that works for this =
task, but this technique is quick and easily learned.
    Tom Driscoll
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Carl Teplitski=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:27 AM
  Subject: Re: Dumb Tuner moves -/ lost tool

  Tom  --   howinell do you reach in to the treble section , and install =
those felts ??
  With your hand . =20

  Carl / Winnipeg

  Tom Driscoll wrote:

  At 07:10 2/18/2005, you wrote:
    Carl wrote . . .
      slim, wood handle screw driver,
which I  use to insert the tuning felt.
        You use a screwdriver to push in the strip mute??
I've used a regular dinner knife, with tiny serrations for grip. It's
strong, thin, and shiny . .  nerver pulls the felt back out when moving
  the next .-----------------

Jim Kinnear
      You push a metal implement towards a soundboard?

For years I've used recycled upright stickers which I've sharpened. No
chance of scratching and the bottom end can be used to massage down new
strings.

I think the Journal CD should have my drawing of same from the early =
'80s.
 Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
   =20

    Tools? What tools?
    I don' need no stinkin' tool !
    Seriously , I was taught to insert the strip with out any tools.
    With a little practice it's really pretty easy and done with one =
hand.

    FWIW,
    Tom Driscoll RPT
 =20