More Erard Pics, and a few questions

Gevaert Pierre pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:45:27 +0100

Hi,

It is good to check the play between the wooden capstan and the center =
pin in the key slot. I do this by pressing  the key down on the back =
rest felt with one hand and with the other hand, moving the wippen =
assembly up and down. If there is to much play I usually change the =
small felt strips that are  glued around the center pins in the key =
slots with thicker felt. This gives a better control and avoids clicking =
noises.

Regards,
Pierre Gevaert=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Quentin Codevelle=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:02 AM
  Subject: More Erard Pics, and a few questions

  Hi !

  You can detach the capstan-whippen assembly, you just have to force a =
little bit because the base of the whippen is only "clicked" on a =
centerpin in the key slot.=20
  If you force a little bit, you'll hear a click, and the key will be =
free.
  The advantage of this action is that you can level the keyboard very =
easily, because even with the whippen clicked on the key, you can lift =
the key and take it off the balance pin to insert your punchings.

  Be careful of the jack's elbow (which comes in contact with the let =
off capstan), because on old erard grands, they sometimes break when you =
lift the key.

  Here is the URL that you lost:
  http://fractales.inria.fr/~louchet/perso/pianos.html

  Did you try to contact the guy from the website again? Last time his =
email adress didn't work.

  Bye!

  Quentin