One more tuning question...

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:41:02 -0500

I also service mostly older pianos. I leave maybe one or two a year =
below A440 (rusty, breaking strings, little old lady w/ no money, etc.). =
Why would "whats in front of me" pose a barrier to tuning at A440? Ya =
puts yer lever on the tuning pin in front of you and you crank it!

Terry Farrell

  Wether a piano gets the 440 treatment depends on what its used for and =
the client. I don"t know about you listers...but not all my pianos I =
service are new, and have already been neglected for years. I can only =
do what I can with whats in front of me. I don't consider myself a =
"tooner" because of it.

  Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:=20
    Greetings,=20

                Is one way of doing business for some tuners to just =
tune the piano "where it is"? In other words, they check the A and if =
its close enough (or even if its not close to 440 ) just tune the piano =
so that it is in tune with itself???

               And even going further, If they have a regular client, =
such as a church, to do the above mentioned thing, cleaning up unisons =
(so as to do a "bang-up" tuning) and then, on every 4th tuning or so =
pull it back up to A440 or alittle above, so they are set up to repeat =
the whole process, thereby saving themselves some time on intermittent =
tunings, yet leaving the customer believing that they are receiving an =
A440 ! tuning each and every time...when they aren't receiving a true =
tuning (as far as proper pitch goes) each and every time??

                Not that I would do such a thing in my practice. I do =
not condone it either. I think it is dishonest. My question is do some =
tooners do this?? is it possible?=20
       =20

    Julia=20
    Reading, PA